Monday, May 3, 2010

"I heard the old, old men say, all that is Beautiful drifts away" -James Joyce

I've never seen wild things cry from a broken heart.
so Why, then, do I not envy such things.
Some say they are running towards freedom.
But I say they are just running away
You are not tamed nor will you ever be tamed
and For this, I respect your audacity.
But how dare you shake the apples from my tree
and leave me bare.
I watched you take a single bite of the fruit
That of which has fallen from my very limbs.
It satisfied your empty stomach
and that was enough.
It was not until you were full and ready
Did you started running again.

I've never seen proud men grow.
I have seen them smile, but never for someone else.
You may hide behind your golden mask
But I will never try to see through it.
And neither will the peasants who worship your throne.
For them,
Nothing more had caught their eye but the shine to your dollar.

The stench of self-pity and mourning fills this room.
Could it be the Sorrow hanging on your back?
I have never seen a wilted flower bloom again.
When spring came, still, it did not bloom.
The flower that has lived in winter for the past plenty years
Will never know,
That I must have wished upon it 10 times over.
You are blinded by the never ending rivers that flow against the banks of your pigmented skin
I waited for the rains to die down and the clouds to clear
But it never did
And I wasn't going to wait for another spring,
To fall in love with you.

I've never seen a mirror with a face but that of someone else's.
Why do I feel robbed?
I wake up at dawn
Every day self-assured and confident
But the Devil greets me when I look at the world.
Envy.
And now I am small.
I build myself up again with fallacies
And pretty looking things.
Tonight I will go to sleep with a different face on.
Who am I, she says.

I have never heard the color Red speak.
Nor do I want to hear what it has to say.
To me, Red might sound like a shade of orange
And I should not enjoy
Being confused.
A woman will never fall in love with the man who only swoons her with flattery
Too many are the sweet words that fall off his tongue
No longer are they as sweet,
With each word she begins to hear what sounds like "Hello."
When the book of poetry in your head has run out
I wonder what next will you have to recite.
May you glow Red,
And nothing more
You must know how Beautiful you are
In your truest of hues.

No comments:

Post a Comment