Saturday, March 6, 2010

Beautiful Little Fool

For my language arts class we've been reading the novel The Great Gatsby and it's the first novel I've ever read that I've actually taken liking to. F. Scott Fitzgerald is a literary genius first and foremost. His insight is amazing. Something you inquire not through what he directly says in text but how he utilizes the characters and symbols in the story to perfectly personify each theme he's trying to convey. I adore his writing. Here's some quotes I wanted to take note of:

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made....I shook hands with him; it seemed silly not to, for I felt suddenly as though I were talking to a child. Then he went into the jewelry store to buy a pearl necklace, rid of my provincial squeamishness forever."

"A bad driver is only safe until she meets another bad driver."

"If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life, as if he were related to one of those intricate machines that register earthquakes ten thousand miles away....It was an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again."

"And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."


No comments:

Post a Comment