Saturday, December 25, 2010

All I want for Christmas

Here we are again. Another Christmas. I never really got the point, I can't even remember if I ever believed in Santa. I just remember being little and how I couldn't watch TV for more than 5 minutes without seeing reindeer jumping around and a hairy fat man wearing a red suit take up the whole screen. Commercials selling shampoo during the holidays somehow found a way to relate buying hair products with the spirit of Christmas. Don't you want a head dandruff free for the holidays! Yes, thank you, I'd like a dandruff-free head for any day of the year actually. I also remember how many times people would tell me "Tis the season!" "The season of giving!" yet all I ever knew was to be selfish on Christmas. How much money I could spend on myself during Christmas on top of how many presents I would get from my family and friends. I couldn't even get my parents the proper gifts cause who wants to be given a present that some one spent your own money to buy. If there was ever an award for single-handedly corrupting Christmas I'd definitely be on the nominee list.

But this year, it feels different. Maybe it's because I've grown out of my greedy little girl pants, maybe it's because I've got a job where I actually earn my own money, maybe it's because all those little things, how much more money my parents might have spent on my sister, how many Christmas parties I was invited too, if I had someone to kiss under the mistletoe, doesn't matter anymore.
This is the last Christmas where I'm celebrating in a home that will really feel like home. And I'm spending every minute I can with the people who evidently has spent their time with me since the beginning and have chosen to spend the rest of their time till the end. For once I feel like I'm on a vacation without being on a vacation. A little disconnected from everything and everyone who is in my little social bubble.
And it's really nice.
I feel like now a days my generation is so caught up in being "in-the-know," being a socialite, having the most wall posts on facebook, making sure their entire life and every moment of that life is documented into cyber space. It's even quite possible that some of the Christmas parties in high school are hosted just so we can all get together and take pictures of how cool we are in our "ugly" Christmas sweaters....nahh.

I realized how much so many of us obsess over how we're not going to be alone, and making sure were not going to be alone with the right people. Like were not content enough being on our own but content enough to pick and choose our company; neglecting the people who are genuinely a part of our life and infatuated with those who are convenient....and temporary. And for once, I don't have to be caught up in all the backwardness, all the greed for popularity and status, all the irresponsibility of people's feelings and relationships.
It's good to be with family and enjoying the comfort and simplicity of home, and that's all I want this Christmas. (Ooh. Facebook status right there.)

:)
Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment